No, that's not a typo -- between the two of us, we've only purchased 2 total items of clothing in 2020.
For the last few years, we've been incredibly motivated to save money, to get rid of clutter at home, and to love the things we already have. To avoid making unnecessary purchases:
• We contemplate buying things (especially expensive items) for several weeks before actually doing so
• We don't go shopping as just "something to do" for the day
• We go through and re-organize things we already own, which usually results in finding an item we forgot about but still love!
• We keep our personal spending limits relatively low every month
• We keep an ongoing list of special items we'd like so that we have suggestions for family members when they ask for birthday + Christmas gift ideas!
What do you do to save money and avoid making unnecessary purchases? Also, in case you're wondering, we bought 1 pair of jeans and 1 sweater!